President Obama said during the campaign that he’s worried about somebody like Donald Trump with access to the nuclear codes and all the other powers of the Presidency. A writer named Pratap Chatterjee listed nine things Obama could do to reduce Trump’s power to do harm.
- Name innocent drone victims.
- Make public any reviews of military errors.
- Make public the administration’s criteria for its “targeted killings.”
- Disclose mass surveillance programs.
- Make public all surveillance agreements with private companies.
- Make public all secret laws created in recent years.
- Punish anyone who has abused the drone or surveillance programs.
- Punish those responsible for FBI domain management abuses.
- Pardon Edward Snowden, Chelsea Manning and the other whistleblowers.
That wouldn’t eliminate a President Trump’s power to start wars without authorization from Congress, but it would be a start on reducing Presidential powers to their Constitutional limits.
Obama’s Last Chance by Pratap Chatterjee for TomDispatch.
FBI and NSA Poised to Gain New Surveillance Powers Under Trump by Chris Strohm for Bloomberg News.